Butter Roasted Sweetbreads in Garlic and Thyme with Caramelized Cauliflower,
Fried Capers, Toasted Almonds, in a Savory Herb Jus with a Banyuls Reduction
Yield: 6 to 8 portions
2 pounds veal sweetbreads
1 quart whole milk
4 cloves garlic, skin on
1 bunch thyme
1 head white cauliflower
¼ cup whole butter
2 Tbsp. capers
¼ cup almonds
8 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup grapeseed oil
For the Jus:
1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
For the Jus:
- Roughly chop the garlic, carrots, and shallots, sauté over medium heat until slightly browned.
- Add stock and thyme. Bring to boil. Simmer for approximately 30 min, until all vegetables are soft and stock is reduced by half. Strain liquid and reserve.
- In a separate pan, heat ½ cup of the vinegar over medium low heat until reduced to a glaze, roughly 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add to reserved stock and reduce down to sauce like consistency.
For the Sweetbreads:
- Soak the sweetbreads in ½ quart of milk and cover with water, soak overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove sweetbreads from the milk. In a separate pot, add the other ½ quart of milk, place sweetbreads in pot, and cover with water. Season with a Tbsp. of salt.
- Slowly bring to simmer the sweetbreads over a low to medium heat. This can take up to 10 to 15 minutes. Once the liquid reaches a simmer, turn off heat and let sweetbreads rest in liquid for another 10 minutes. They should be slightly firm to touch. Remove from cooking liquid and submerge in ice water bath.
- Once cooled, begin to remove outer lining of the sweetbreads, this can be done using a paring knife. Let the natural nugget shape of the sweetbreads fall into shape as you remove the lining. Reserve and chill in refrigerator.
For the rest:
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized florets. Sauté in 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium sized saucepot, heat grapeseed oil to 300 degrees. Place capers on paper towel to remove excess liquid. Carefully place capers in oil, being mindful that a lot of additional moisture will be released when you begin frying them. Once they reach a slightly golden brown color, strain from oil and place on paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat 2 Tbsps. of olive oil over medium heat, add almonds and stir frequently until golden brown, season with salt and place on paper towels to remove excess oil. Once cooled, crush the almonds until they are crumbled.
- Heat 4 Tbsp. of olive oil in sauté pan. Season sweetbreads with salt and pepper and place in pan. Sauté until slightly caramelized. Add whole butter, thyme and garlic cloves and continue to sauté until all pieces have reached a deep golden brown color. Strain and reserve.
- Place sweetbreads on plate along with the cauliflower florets. Sprinkle the crushed almonds and the fried capers over the top of the sweetbreads.
- Drizzle sauce on and around plate.