Sauteed Duck Breast with Glazed Baby Turnips, Fuji Apple, Shaved Fennel and a Tarragon Jus
Yield: 4 People
4 boneless duck breasts
1 fuji apple
3 pcs baby turnips
1 head fennel bulb
2 tbsp whole butter
3 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce:
#1 duck bones
1 qt duck or chicken stock
1 head whole garlic
1 bunch thyme
2 bay leafs
1 whole lemon
1 bunch tarragon
For the sauce:
- Roast the duck bones in a 300 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until they have a deep brown coloring.
- Place the bones in a pot. Cut the head of garlic in half and add to pot. Rough shop the shallots and add, along with the thyme and bay leaves. Cover with the stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for approximately 2 hours, until the bones are falling apart. Strain, discard solids, place liquid back on stove and reduce to sauce like consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
For all other items:
- Score the duck breast skin with shallow cross markings. This allows the fat to render out more easily, making a crisper skin on breast. Set aside.
- Peel the baby turnips and trip the tops, and rinse under cool water.
- Cut the turnips in half. Add to a saute pan with a little olive oil. Add water to just cover, roughly ¼ to ½ cup, and simmer until tender. Strain the liquid from the turnips, and reduce down to sauce consistency, adding a little knob of butter to glaze. Add turnips back to pan.
- Shave or thinly slice the fennel bulb. Soak in ice water for several minutes, or until they crisp up.
- Drain fennel and dry with paper towel. Julienne apple and mix with fennel. Season with olive oil and lemon, salt and pepper.
- Saute the duck breast skin side down, over medium heat, allowing the fat to render. This may take from 8 to 12 minutes.
- Once the skin has reached a nice golden brown, lower heat to low, add a knob of whole butter to pan, and flip duck breast over briefly, cooking the flesh side. This only needs to be for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on doneness desired.
- Thinly slice duck breast and fan out pieces on plate.
- Heat the turnips and place around duck.
- After dressing salad, scatter fennel and apple on top of duck.
- Heat sauce, season with a splash of lemon juice, and drizzle around plate.