Lobster medallions, golden beets, lavender grilled romaine, black truffle vinaigrette
Yield: 4 servings
2 whole 1 ½ pound maine lobsters
1 small, whole black truffle
2 Tbsp. rendered duck fat
12 tsp. banyuls vinegar
2 large golden beets
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 watermelon radish
1 bulb fennel
6 pcs red pearl onion
½ cup white distilled vinegar
1Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 petite romaine hearts
1 tsp. fresh lavender
¼ cup grapeseed oil
For the lobster:
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Break apart lobster, separating tails from claws.
- Poach tails for 6 minutes, claws for 8 minutes. Place in ice water bath. Crack and remove shells, clean any remaining shell pieces. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the truffle:
- Slice truffle on slicer very thin, poach slices in duck fat around 140 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes until softened. Remove from fat and reserve. Cut slices into rounds and finely chop scraps, reserve for dressing.
- Mix chopped truffle, duck fat and banyuls vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the beets:
- Season beets with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in 300 degree oven for approximately 1 hour, or until just tender. Once cooled, peel skin, slice into rounds same size as truffle slices. Reserve.
For the pearl onions:
- Cut onions in half lengthwise, place in bout with white vinegar and sugar, bring to boil, and simmer until cooked, between 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and drain on paper towel.
For the romaine:
- Bring grapeseed oil to a temperature around 120 degrees, add lavender leaves, steep for 10 minutes, then strain. Reserve.
- Cut romaine hearts in half lengthwise, brush with lavender oil and season with salt and pepper. Lightly grill to infuse flavor, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
For the radish and fennel:
- Separately, shave each thinly into ice cold water and chill for 10 to 15 minutes, so that they crisp slightly.
- Slice lobster tails and claws into medallions, place on plate.
- Place slice truffle rounds atop beet slices, arrange on plate.
- Neatly arrange the romaine leaves, pearl onions, radish and shaved fennel.
- Drizzle the reserved truffle trimmings with the duck fat and banyuls vinegar over the lobster and vegetables.