Hamachi tataki, bean sprouts, golden beets , togarashi aioli
Yield: 4-6 servings
#1 hamachi filet
1 small knub ginger, 1 to 2 ounces
1 pint soy sauce, or tamari
# ½ mung bean sprouts
2 shiso leaves
1 Tbsp togarashi ( Japanese chili powder )
½ pint mayonnaise
1 large golden beet
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1 tsp. sherry vinegar
For the Hamachi:
- Peel and finely grate ginger, mix with soy sauce.
- Clean an portion Hamachi filets into into long thick strips.
- Marinate filets in the soy sauce mix and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Remove filets from liquid, pat dry. To brulee, use a torch to sear filets with direct heat. If torch is unavailable, then a hot sear in saute pan will suffice. Make sure not to overcook if sauteeing.
- Let cool. Slice on bias to yield bite sized pieces.
For the aioli and bean sprouts:
- Whisk the togarashi spice mix into the mayo, add a dash of soy sauce, season with salt, pepper.
- Finely chop bean sprouts. Mince the shiso leaves. Mix with the aioli.
For the beets:
- Season beets with oil, salt and pepper. Roast in 300 degree oven for approximately 1 hour or until cooked thru.
- Once cooked, let cool. Peel and small dice the beets. Season with oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place dressed bean sprouts on plate.
- Garish with diced beets.
- Lay slices of Hamachi over top of the sprouts.
- Garnish plate with any additional aioli and/ or minced shiso for decoration