Grilled watermelon, herbed chevre, marcona almonds, citrus vinaigrette
Yield: 4 Servings
1 whole, small, red seedless watermelon
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 sprig mint
4 oz. goat cheese ( chevre )
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. fines herbes mix ( tarragon, chevil, dill, chive )
¼ cup toasted marcona almonds, lightly crushed
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1 bunch upland cress, or watercress
1 Tbsp blood orange juice
2 tsp. sherry vinegar
For the watermelon:
- Bring water and sugar to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Add mint sprig. Cook until liquid a reached a slightly viscous consistency, approximately 4 to 6 minutes. Stain liquid. Set aside.
- Slice watermelon cross wise into 1 ½ to 2 inch thick rounds. Brush with the mint infused simple syrup. Grill one to two minutes on each side.
- Trim green outer edges of watermelon. Discard. Remaining red melon dice into large chucks.
For the chevre:
- Mix together the goat cheese, fine herbes mix, olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
For the greens:
- Trim and wash the watercress. Reserve.
- Blend the grapeseed oil, blood orange juice and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange watermelon on plate.
- Dress greens with vinaigrette, place over melon.
- Crumble the cheese over greens and sprinkle with the toasted almonds.