Wine: pair with Reata Pinot Noir
Yield: 4-6 portions
6 pcs. corn on the cob
1 qt. heavy cream
4 shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
1 head fennel bulb, cleaned, thinly sliced
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 lb fresh rock shrimp
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 bunch chives, minced
1 bunch epazote
¼ cup grapeseed oil
1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Enough water to cover the corn cobs. Cook until kernels are softened, approximately 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Remove corn from the liquid, set aside and let cool to room temperature.
3. Once cooled, remove corn kernels from cob by cut down the length of the corn cob. Reserve the kernels.
4. In a separate pot, pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the pan. Add shallots, fennel and thyme leaves and heat over a low to medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add the cooked corn kernels. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the heavy cream, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
6. Pour into blender and puree until completely smooth. Strain through a chinois, place in refrigerator to chill. Once chilled, re-season with salt.
7. In a small pan, bring a pint of water to boil, season with salt and add the rock shrimp. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until done. Strain, reserve the shrimp and cool in refrigerator.
8. Once shrimp is cooled, dress shrimp with remaining olive, lemon juice, and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
9. In a blender, add epazote and grapeseed oil until smooth, strain through a chinois, reserve oil.
Pour chilled soup into a bowl. Place a spoonful of shrimp into bowls and drizzle epazote oil.